Air Fryer Mediterranean Vegetables make the perfect, colorful summer dish. This delicious combo of zucchini, squash, cherry tomatoes, and onion, takes just 20 minutes. Serve as a stand-alone side or a flavorful topping for pasta, polenta, gnocchi, and more!
Some veggie combinations are simply meant to be, and this is definitely one of them! Air Fryer Mediterranean Veggies combines some of the best summer vegetables (like zucchini, squash, and cherry tomatoes) with just the right amount of seasoning to make the flavors pop!
The prep for this recipe is so simple. Just quickly chop the zucchini and squash into large quarters and the onion into wide strips. The cherry tomatoes don't need to be cut at all! And unlike a combo like Broccoli and Carrots, all of these veggies cook at the same rate, so you can throw them all into the air fryer at the same time.
I love eating these Mediterranean veggies as a stand-alone side dish or using them to top pasta, polenta, or gnocchi. No matter how you serve them they bring a ton of bright and fresh flavor to any meal!
Here's what you need to make this recipe.
- zucchini -- A medium sized zucchini is perfect here. Larger zucchini tend to have less flavor and are better for baking.
- yellow squash -- Same as above.
- cherry tomatoes -- Or plum tomatoes. I like to keep them whole. Another option would be Roma tomatoes or tomatoes on the vine, but I'd recommend quartering them.
- red onion -- Any type of onion is fine, but I prefer the color and flavor of a red onion for this dish.
- olive oil or avocado oil
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- granulated garlic -- you could also add whole cloves of garlic. Yum!
- fresh basil garnish (optional)
See recipe card for quantities.
Here are step-by-step instructions with photos.
Preheat the air fryer to 425F or 220C.
Wash and prep the veggies: Chop the zucchini and squash into thick quarter moons, roughly chop the onions into wide half moon slices. (No need to cut the tomatoes!)
Add all of the veggies to a bowl and add the oil and seasonings. Mix until all of the veggies are evenly coated.
Transfer the veggies to the air fryer and cook for 16 to 20 minutes, stopping halfway and ¾ of the way to shake the basket and move things around as needed.
When the veggies are nicely browned they are done. Garnish with fresh basil (optional) and serve right away or store for later!
Hint: Since this recipe is on the messier side, I like to use a basket style liner for easier cleanup.
Here are a few variations in case you want to switch things up.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes before serving.
- Bell Peppers - swap out one of the main veggies for bell pepper of your choice.
- Ratatouille - swap the yellow squash for eggplant.
Don't have tomatoes or onion? Just make my Air Fryer Squash and Zucchini instead!
For this recipe, you need an air fryer, a cutting board, knife, and mixing bowl.
All of my favorite products and kitchen tools can be found in my Amazon shop.
How to serve
These air fried Mediterranean Veggies make the perfect summer side dish! Or you can serve them over pasta, polenta, gnocchi, or rice.
Let the veggies cool and add them to a pesto pasta salad!
Or serve with sautéed white beans for a full meal.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I don't recommend freezing unless you plan to use the leftovers in a soup or stew.
This is a very simple dish that doesn't require precise chopping, so the prep work can be done very quickly! Don't sweat it if your cuts aren't perfect!
Sure! Simply omit the oil and cook as directed. A squeeze of lemon juice might be nice, but these veggies have a higher water content that you shouldn't have any problems with burning.
Choose the air fryer that best meets your needs. Consider things like price, size, and functionality. I personally love my Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Grill and Air Fryer, because it has a bigger capacity, which better suits my family of four.
For more info, see my post What Air Fryer Should I Buy? or check out Good Housekeeping's review of the Best Air Fryers of 2023.
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Try these:
Air Fryer Mediterranean Vegetables
- Preheat the air fryer to 425F or 220C.
- Wash and prep the veggies: Chop the zucchini and squash into thick quarter moons, roughly chop the onions into wide half moon slices. (No need to cut the tomatoes!)
- Add all of the veggies to a bowl and add the oil and seasonings. Mix until all of the veggies are evenly coated.
- Transfer the veggies to the air fryer and cook for 16 to 20 minutes, stopping halfway and ¾ of the way to shake the basket and move things around as needed.
- When the veggies are nicely browned they are done. Garnish with fresh basil (optional) and serve right away or store for later!
- Since this recipe is on the messier side, I recommend using a basket-style liner.
- If you want to make this recipe oil-free, simply leave the oil out.
Air Fryer and food safety tips
Here are a few safety tips for cooking with an air fryer.
- Cook food to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always use oven mitts or some protective hand covering when shaking the basket or removing food from the air fryer.
- Hot air comes out the back of the air fryer. Try to keep the back of the air fryer at least a hands length away from the wall, other ingredients, or anything else that could be damaged by heat.